Experienced (5+ years) full-stack software engineer with proven project management skills for remote teams and expertise in:
- Project management
- Infrastructure as code
- Developing and deploying microservices
- Test-driven development
- Big-data and database architecture
- Modern web frameworks (React, Vue, Angular, etc.)
- Linux/Unix systems
Background to Global Parametrics
Global Parametrics (GP) offers an industry-changing approach to responding to natural disasters in low-and-middle-income countries (LMICs), using financial instruments and advance planning. GP is a social venture operating on commercial principles.
Launched in July 2016, GP aims to redefine disaster response mechanisms, by introducing a unique business model that aims to ultimately spur market development for tailored and socially-oriented financial disaster risk management (FDRM) solutions in relation to weather and seismic exposures in LMICs.
Blending top-notch climate and seismic science, novel risk structuring techniques and patient risk capital, GP offers first-of-their-kind products and services to address FDRM needs in LMICs.
GP develops parametric risk transfer solutions which seek to provide efficient cash infusions at much lower transaction costs than traditional insurance. GP provides its clients with customized, end-to-end solutions that facilitate planning for effective financial responses to natural disasters.
GP’s compelling mission and business model have attracted significant support from leading organisations in the development community and financial services market. GP’s first seed investments came from the German Government’s KfW (on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) via the Insuresiliance Investment Fund) and the UK Government’s Department for International Development.
Location of position
The position is full-time.
GP has offices in London (UK), Washington DC and Lexington (both US). This position can be fully remote for a period of 1 year, at which point GP will evaluate consolidating operations to a GP office. Time-zone preferences for Western Europe and USA.
Principal responsibilities of position
Passion, initiative, communication skills and a sense of leadership are differentiators beyond technical experience. This role is an opportunity to work on challenging scientific problems as they interface with software engineering and innovate in a market occupied by risk-averse incumbents. You’ll work directly with our leadership to create solutions that are resilient and scale. Your responsibilities will include:
- Project management: Experience implementing project structures that match the stride of the technical team and catalyze development
- Software architecture: Understand the end-to-end needs of the company to develop software systems that support multiple stakeholders
- High-quality, documented, tested code: Develop and implement enterprise-grade software that is built to last
- CI/CD infrastructure: Create systems that allow technical and non-technical developers alike to build faster and more reliably
- Develop systems to ingest, validate and serve large amounts of data: Immense data archives are the lifeblood of GP and reliable ETL systems are the diuretics – keep the data flowing
- Develop and deploy microservices to support risk transfer products: Modular systems are necessary to support the diverse requirements from internal data users (scientists, actuaries, and product developers) and clients
- Develop robust front-end interfaces: Experience with geospatial and timeseries data is essential to successfully deliver data to users.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, including:
- 3+ years of experience running sprints, writing and grooming stories, holding retrospectives, defining initiatives and epics, and more
- 3+ years of experience developing software with tests (high-coverage unit, regression, integration), documentation and version control.
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical field
- Ability to speak and write English fluently
- Experience building and managing a team of remote software engineers
- Experience with spatial data, preferably scientific data and climate model outputs
- Experience with auditing procedures and complying with their requirements
- On-premises data center management from a software perspective
- Familiarity with visualization of spatial data in web front-ends, such as React, Vue, Angular, Svelt
- Creativity processing large datasets and passing data between microservices
- Exposure to insurance/reinsurance or related industries
Competitive with sector
Reports to the Chief Technology Officer
Interested candidates should send CV and cover-letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
GP is comprised of scientists, engineers, development-oriented finance professionals, economists and more working to build a platform offering parametric risk transfer products globally for natural catastrophes and climate risk, with an emphasis on low- and middle- income countries. If you are interested in climate change, building resiliency, development economics and natural catastrophe risk management, then you’re reading the right job posting. We work with massive datasets, high performance computing, on-prem and cloud infrastructure, visualizing geospatial data, and many other engaging technical challenges.
Our current technical stack looks like this:
- Source control: Github, GitLab
- CI/CD: Jenkins
- IT Automation: Ansible
- ETL: Airflow, Cron
- Data Storage: PostgreSQL+Citus+PostGIS, Cassandra
- APIs: Python+OpenAPI, Swagger
- IAM: FreeIPA+Keycloak
- Data Analysis: R, Python
- Visualization: R, Shiny
Some of these technical choices are subject to change, but it should give you an idea of what we’re working on.
Global Parametrics reserves the right to amend or vary any part of this terms of reference and/or the position, to cancel all or any part of the process set out in this document at any time and to appoint any person to fill the role described herein.
Global Parametrics is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Global Parametrics is committed to safeguarding the privacy of persons submitting applications to it. For information about how Global Parametrics processes data please refer to the privacy notice set out on our website at www.globalparametrics.com.